IHMC Public Cmaps Terms of Service
IHMC Public Cmaps are a set of computer server programs (e.g. IHMC Public Cmaps, IHMC Public Cmaps (2) and IHMC Public Cmaps (3)) running the IHMC CmapServer software to provide storage and access to concept maps and resources. These concept maps and resources can be created using the IHMC CmapTools desktop software or other third-party software that uses the IHMC CmapServer’s API to communicate with the CmapServers. By using the IHMC Public Cmaps, you agree to be bound by these terms of service.
The IHMC Public Cmaps are a service provided by, and you are contracting with The Florida Institute for Human & Machine Cognition (IHMC), a not-for-profit research institute of the State University System of Florida with a principal address of 40 South Alcaniz St, Pensacola, FL 32502.
- IHMC Public Cmaps Usage
The IHMC Public Cmaps do not require that you create an account. Permissions are set by you on the folders you create, and you are responsible for the credentials you provide for each of the folders you own and for the permissions you grant others regarding accessing the content of your folders. The CmapTools desktop client uses your default credentials in the client as default when you create a folder.
The content that you create or upload to IHMC Public Cmaps is your own responsibility. You agree that you will not upload any content that is illegal, infringing, defamatory, obscene, or otherwise harmful. You agree to indemnify and hold IHMC harmless from any claims arising from your content of use of IHMC Public Cmaps.
IHMC owns all intellectual property rights in IHMC Public Cmaps and software. You retain all intellectual property rights in the content that you create or upload to IHMC Public Cmaps.
IHMC grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, and limited license to use IHMC Public Cmaps and software for personal, educational or business use.
- License to Use your Content
Your content remains yours, which means that you retain any intellectual property rights that you have in your content. For example, you have intellectual property rights in the creative content you make, such as concept maps you create. Or you may have the right to share someone else’s creative content if they have given you their written permission.
This license expressly provides IHMC with your permission to use and view your content.
This license is
- worldwide, which means it’s valid anywhere in the world
- non-exclusive, which means you can license your content to others
- royalty-free, which means there are no monetary fees for this license
This license allows IHMC to
- host, reproduce, distribute, communicate, and use your content — for example, to save your content on our systems and make it accessible from anywhere you go
- publish, publicly perform, or publicly display your content, if you have made it publicly visible to others
- modify and create derivative works based on your content, such as reformatting or translating the content into other languages, if you have made it publicly visible to others
- sublicense these rights to:
- other users to allow the services to work as designed, such as enabling you to share concept maps with people you choose
- our contractors who have also signed agreements with us that are consistent with these terms, only for the limited purposes described in the Purpose section below
This license is for the limited purpose of:
- operating and improving the services, which means allowing the services to work as designed and creating new features and functionalities. This includes using automated systems and algorithms to analyze your content:
- for spam, malware, and illegal content
- to recognize patterns in data, such as determining when to suggest new concepts or improvements to a concept map, or provide feedback or recommendations regarding the quality of a concept map
This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored.
- using content you have shared publicly to promote the services. For example, to promote the IHMC Public Cmaps, we might quote a concept map you created and shared publicly
- developing new technologies and services for IHMC consistent with these terms
- Other content
Some of our services give you access to content that belongs to other people or organizations — for example, a concept map created by another user, who has either made their content publicly visible or has set specific permissions for you to access that content. You may not use this content without that person or organization’s permission, or as otherwise allowed by law.
IHMC may terminate your access to IHMC Public Cmaps for any reason, at any time.
- Governing Law
These terms of service are governed by the laws of the State of Florida. You agree that any disputes arising out of these terms of service will be resolved in the courts of Escambia County Florida.
- Entire Agreement
These terms of service constitute the entire agreement between you and IHMC. These terms of service supersede any prior agreements, representations, or understandings between you and IHMC.
- Contact Information.
If you have any questions about these terms of service, please contact us at: IHMC, 40 South Alcaniz St, Pensacola FL 32502. Email: email@example.com